The Interreg Med ACT4LITTER project, that started in September 2016, aims to facilitate efforts for tackling marine pollution in Mediterranean MPAs through the development of effective and targeted measures towards reaching their conservation objectives via an ecosystem-based approach.
Joint measures to preserve natural ecosystems from marine litter in Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas (MPAs).
Main Lines of action:
- Identification of potential measures to address marine litter issues in Mediterranean MPAs in particular those that promote prevention upstream;
- Feasibility assessment of the identified measures to be implemented in MPAs through the development of an appropriate decision-making model;
- Development of 10 MPA-specific action plans for preventing and mitigating marine litter through a participatory approach;
- Elaboration of a joint governance plan for improving marine litter management in Mediterranean MPAs through the integration of relevant lessons learnt.
- Strengthened networking of Mediterranean MPAs in defining a common framework of measures to combat marine litter;
- Improved management of Mediterranean MPAs through the definition of MPA-specific action plans towards good environmental status in the marine environment;
- Enhanced implementation of the relevant policy frameworks such as the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive, the Barcelona Convention Regional Plan for Marine Litter Management in the Mediterranean, the Specially Protected Areas and Biological Diversity Protocol, etc.
Role of the Associated Partners Group (APG)
Associated partners play an essential role in the Act4Litter project development. Either as marine litter expert or as MPA manager, your participation will guarantee the delivery of well-targeted, effective and applicable solutions to tackle marine litter in MPAs. Associated partners will therefore be involved at key stages of the project in the activities below.
Link to website: https://act4litter.interreg-med.eu/
- Catalan Waste Agency – Regional Activity Center for Sustainable Consumption and Production (Spain)
- Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies (Italy)
- MedPAN – Network of Marine Protected Area Managers in the Mediterranean (France)
- Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development (Greece)
- MerTerre / Observatoire des Déchets en Milieux Aquatiques (France)
- Mediterranean Center for Environmental Monitoring (Montenegro)
- Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona (Spain)
- Shoreline (Italy)
- Management Body of Samaria National Park (Greece)
- Spanish Association of Marine Litter (Spain)
- Consortium of Management of Portofino MPA (Italy)
- City of San Benedetto del Tronto (Italy)
- Public Institution Nature Park Lastovo Islands (Croatia)
- Public Institute Landscape Park Strunjan (Slovenia)
- Blue World Institute of Marine Research and Conservation (Croatia)
- Regional Activity Centre for Specially Protected Areas
- Association for Protection of Aquatic Wildlife of Albania (Albania)
- Nice Cote D’Azur Metropole (France)
- Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment (Cyprus)
- Axios – Loudias – Aliakmonas Management Authority (Greece)
- PlasticsEurope (Belgium)
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment (Spain)
- Public Institution National Park Kornati (Croatia)
- French Agency for Marine Protected Areas (France)
- City of Marseille (France)
- Regional Ministry of Environment and Spatial Planning of Andalusia (Spain)